Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mexicali Cantina


Dios mio, what a culinary catastrophe I was the victim of tonight. Jay here, do yourself a favor, stay away from Mexicali Cantina in Frederick.  I took my pops there over the summer and it was okay. When I visited it a second time a few months ago, again, it was ok. So, Kay and I figured we 'd try it out, but, wow, what a mistake.

When we arrived, the parking lot was full. I figured it would go one of two ways: 1) a long wait and slow service, or 2) a fiesta of flavor that would explain such a large crowd. We were quickly seated (after eyeing the fountain in the lobby), and chips and salsa arrived immediately. I figured we were off to a good start…but that was the last positive thought I had.

First of all, our meals took a long time to arrive. Long enough for us to both finish our waters and a bowl of salsa.  Even after politely asking the waitress for refills, it still took forever.  (Look servers, pay attention: when a glass of water is empty, fill it. If you walk by my table, look at my empty water glass, and then continue to walk away…it had better be to go get me a damn refill. The next time you walk by empty handed you are losing part of your tip.)

When we finally got our meals, I was already worked up. After eating only 1/3 of my meal, I was actually pissed.  I couldn't finish eating and had to push the plate away in anger over how bad it tasted. (Insert Kay: He literally kept saying "This is gross, this is really gross.") I ordered a burrito/taco combo and Kay ordered....who cares, it tasted like shit. (Insert Kay: and my meal had a very large bone in it. I am happy when restaurants use real, pulled chicken, but please watch the bones. This bone was a little too large to have been missed. Gross.)

To top it all off, the waitress never checked in on us during the entire meal (not a single time after our food arrived, or before our food arrived, for that matter).  I was minutes from putting money on the table and just walking out. (Insert Kay: we actually considered swinging by McDonald's just so we could get something to eat. No joke. And we hardly ever eat fast food!)

Kay and I seriously couldn't figure out why/how this restaurant was so busy! For all of the people who frequent this establishment, you must be hopped up on margaritas that kill your taste buds. We would give Mexicali Cantina a rating of "Eff This Place," and will definitely not be back.  Ciao. Wait, that's Italian.


3 comments:

  1. Jay..you are killing me!! I want to show all of my servers this blog so they can realize what people actually think about when they go out to eat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry @HeavaGaucho, but we had to be honest! And we are not really high-maintenance people when we go out to eat. (aside from the whole drink refill thing!) Please feel free to read some of our other posts for when we refer to good service. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. It's funny that you've had two very different experiences at Mexicali Cantina and Cacique because they have the same owners. Cacique even has the exact same menu as Mexicali aside from the extra page or two of Spanish dishes. I used to work at Mexicali Cantina many, many years ago and it once was really good. They have gone downhill. I think maybe Cacique is just their cash cow now, so they put all their effort into it vs. Mexicali.

    Sarah (Jason's wife)
    P.S. Totally getting a kick out of your blog!

    ReplyDelete